[lug] Linux Activities this Spring

Wayde Allen wallen at boulder.nist.gov
Thu Jan 13 15:56:48 MST 2000

On Wed, 12 Jan 2000, Robert L. Harris wrote:

> Do we want to turn either or both of these events into a little more?
> Maybe see if I can dig up some stuff from debian/redhat, whoever else
> I can find, maybe see if we can get someone from the Post or such to show
> up and join us for the fun?

I tend to leave decisions about the magnitude of the CLUE events up to
their membership and leadership, but I can pretty much guarantee that they
won't turn away anyone who volunteers to help.

There are a LOT of activities available for people to contribute to this
year.  Right now the schedule of activities looking for volunteers is:

   - CLUE Fixfest, Saturday, January 15th

   - February 19th CLUE Installfest

   - CLIQ Expo, April 1, 2000
     http://thecliq.lonegunman.com/chairman/html/index.html

   - Denver Computer & Technology Showcase (Internet Expo),
     April 26 - 27, 2000
     http://www.techshows.com/denver.htm

   - MiniExpo/Info Festival sponsored by the CU Buffalo Chip
     Dates yet to be determined

CLUE is handling the first two of these so if you want to contribute,
contact Lynn Danielson <lynnd at techangle.com>.

The CLIQ event is headed up by Mike Hammel <mjhammel at graphics-muse.org>.
I believe that he will be at tonights meeting to talk about what they
have planned and to see about finding volunteers to help out.

The Denver Computer & Technology Showcase and Internet Expo is a business
oriented computer show.  They contacted me back around December with the
hope that we could help show how Linux could be useful to the business
community.  They want to know if we'd like to hold a meeting, man a
booth, or run a series of Linux seminars.  They will provide conference
rooms and AV equipment as needed at no cost to us.  There will be a
planning meeting with their people at the Tech Center Marriott on February
2nd, and they will want to know what we will want to do at this time.

The Buffalo Chip event is a spin off of the Install/Info fest that was
held at CU last year.  So far no planning for this has been done as far as
I know.

The upshot of all of this is that there are LOTS of possible things for
people to do!  Everyone needs to think about what it is that they'd be
willing to contribute.

- Wayde
  (wallen at boulder.nist.gov)