[lug] 3Com 905c problem

Jeff Howell howeljs at louisville.stortek.com
Thu Jan 13 14:51:42 MST 2000

George Sexton wrote:

> Can you please post the contents of the following files:
>
> /etc/conf.modules
> /etc/sysconfig/network
> /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0
>
> Also, just for grins the output of the lspci command and the uname -a
> command.
>
> I have a 3C900 that came with my US West package working correctly running
> with a 2.2.14 kernel. Perhaps I can figure out what is different in your
> system. One difference is that I compiled support for mine directly into the
> kernel without using a module. You might try that also.
>
> George Sexton
> MH Software, Inc.
> Voice: 303 438 9585
> Fax: 303 469 9679

Sorry about the FROM: header. There's nothing I can do about it. The mail server
adds it in.

We ended up fixing this one by replacing the NIC with an Intel one.
But /etc/conf.modules was correct. The really wierd thing on this problem was
that
after loading the module and running ifconfig eth0 up. As far any software on
the box was
concerned, all was well. ifconfig shwed the interface up. The MAC of the card
was readable, etc.
Just the link light on the 10/100 hub never came on. We tried forcing the card
to use a certain
interface by using 'insmod 3c59x option=4' for the 100tx port.  We tried every
option listed
in the docs (/usr/src/linux/Documentation/drivers/networking/vortex.txt)

Another buddy of mine noted that some of 3com's newer NICs operated like a
winmodem. Software driven.
I can't configrm if that's true or not. Since Doug just got this card off the
shelf this may be the case if it's true.

But if anything it's been a learning experience for a new member of the
community.
Thanks for all the help!

--
 Jeff Howell
 EDS Unix Support

  Linux Slackware: The Ultimate NT Service Pack