[lug] hard drive that seems to be corrupting data

Hugh Brown hugh at math.byu.edu
Thu Jan 13 19:07:00 MST 2000

I inherited a 3.2 gig IBM Deskstar after helping someone upgrade their
computer.  I figured it would be a nice repository for my mp3's.  When I
try to copy the mp3's from some CDR's that I made, the mp3's get squeaks
and squelches in them and use cause the program I am using to play them
to die.  I checked for bad blocks on the mkfs command and it didn't seem
to turn up anything.  When I copy them to the other drive, they copy
fine.

Any ideas on what might be wrong?

Hugh