[lug] Tossing out ideas...

Wayde Allen wallen at boulder.nist.gov
Fri Jan 14 10:49:45 MST 2000

On 14 Jan 2000 socket at peakpeak.com wrote:

> I spoke with Wayde before the meeting yesterday, and he suggested
> something to me that seems like such a good idea that I thought it
> should be brought up on the list...
>
> It's possible that newcomers might not be as interested in discussion
> on very specific or technical topics.  I really like the meetings as
> they are, but I can imagine that if I were new to Linux and just
> wanted to see what it's all about, the meetings would be interesting
> but waaay over my head.

I think I'd better make sure that we give credit where credit is due.
This isn't a new idea, and not necessarily my idea, it is something that
has been suggested by several people over the years.  I won't name names
for fear of forgetting someone.

The CLUE group has basically implemented this idea with their KISS (Keep
it Simple Stupid) sessions, and I had asked Chris if he thought this was
something that BLUG should be doing too?  (Hey Lynn - how is this working
out for the CLUE group?)

One concern I have is meeting length.  Several years ago we tried
including a 10 minute software demo at the beginning of the meetings prior
to the featured presentation.  In practice these were probably more like
30 minute demos, and I got a fair number of complaints about the length of
the meetings.  Any thoughts?

- Wayde
  (wallen at boulder.nist.gov)