[lug] sparc setup

Carl.Wagner at Level3.com Carl.Wagner at Level3.com
Fri Jan 21 11:51:29 MST 2000

For starters try:
http://sunsite.kth.se/sun/sun-faq
also
http://sunsite.unc.edu
and
http://www.squirrel.com/squirrel/sun-stuff.html

There are also several Usenet news groups, just search for "Sun"

Carl.

-----Original Message-----
From: Ferdinand P. Schmid [mailto:fschmid at archenergy.com]
Sent: Friday, January 21, 2000 11:44 AM
To: lug
Subject: [lug] sparc setup

HI,
After all these years of PC computing I got my hands on a Sparc Classic
with 32 MB of RAM and a 520 MB hdd.  Here are some questions I need to
answer to get going on this old wonder of technology:

The machine came with a keyboard but no mouse.  What type of mouse does
this system use and how is it connected?  Or do Sparc Classics not have
X capabilities?

Is there any documentation of those machines out on the web?  I couldn't
find anything useful at Sun's site or with Google.

This system has a disk drive and it seems to have an ethernet port.  Can
I boot this system with a Linux disk for Sparc (created using the
dosutils on the Sparc CD) and then connect to my PC over ethernet for an
install?

Just using Sparcs in college for programming never got me really close
to their hardware and that's where I can produce more questions right
now than I ever thought possible in regards to a computer.

Ferdinand

--
Ferdinand Schmid
(Staff Engineer)