[lug] Netscape Applications

Ruskell Todd G Todd.Ruskell at Colorado.EDU
Mon Jan 24 22:40:10 MST 2000

I've recently been trying to bring my linux netscape environment up to par
with that other OS.  What I'd like to do is get netscape to launch
StarOffice and load a word/excel/etc. file if, for example, a *.doc file
shows up as an e-mail attachment and I click on it.

So, I do an Edit->Preferences, and look at Navigator->Applications.  I
find the MSWord mime type, and edit the entry to launch StarOffice.  This
much works.  Now, when I click on the Word document, StarOffice is
launched, but the file is not opened.  I guess I need to provide an
argument for the filename.  I guess that this might by %f.  So I edit the
command so it looks like this:

soffice %f

The application still doesn't open in StarOffice.  Does anyone know if %f
is the correct argument to send?  If it is, are there any suggestions as
to why the document isn't actually opened?  The command: soffice filename
does work from the command line, and filename is opened in StarOffice.

TIA,

Todd