[lug] Linux Distr. Size (was: no fun with the sun)

Ferdinand P. Schmid fschmid at archenergy.com
Wed Jan 26 09:43:27 MST 2000

Well - my observation is that 32 MB of RAM don't do it for Linux anymore.
When I started the RedHat install it said that it needed to start swap before
the actual installer could start because I don't have enough memory.
So we are down to 64 MB or more as minimum requirement for RedHat.  Maybe I
should investigate Slackware if they have a distribution for Sparc.  On PCs I
only used Caldera and RedHat so far but my PC has 128 MB of SDRAM and is
overall quite zippy.

If Slackware is just as porky as RedHat then I may need to spend around $100
for 32 MB of extra memory to get any use out of my Sparc Classic.

Ferdinand

--
Ferdinand Schmid
(Staff Engineer)