[lug] broadband internet to Superior

Harris, James A (Jim) HarriJA at LOUISVILLE.STORTEK.COM
Wed Jan 26 17:41:20 MST 2000

Phil,

I don't know what specific area you live in, but in the Horizons community
of Rock Creek, a flyer just went out to everyone stating that an independent
broadband provider is being brought in to provide high speed connections to
us.  They apparently specialize in multi-dwelling buildings (since we're
apartments).  Their service will be 256K to 1Mb.  The prices are comparable
to USWest's combo deals (physical line + ISP with options of static IPs and
multiple mail boxes.)  In a couple of the high end deals, the prices are
really impressive looking.  Included in the monthly rental cost will be the
external modem.  They said they'll do their best to support Linux (stating
that it's not guranteed, but their geeks will try.)  All in all, they seemed
pretty friendly and helpful over the phone.  (They immediately and willingly
transfered me to a tech-support geek to answer my gross questions.)  :)

You may want to contact the provider (Reflex Net) and find out what the
scope of their area offerings will be.  The provider can be found at
http://www.reflexcomm.com.  After speaking to them on the phone, it sounds
like they cooperate with the existing phone service to attach to the line.
Since the Horizon's wiring is owned and maintained by Simcom, it may only be
available to us, but I'd sure look into it.

I am still trying to get more detailed information on when it's happening,
but it sounds like it'll be available soon, which may open some doors and
competition in that area... (we can only hope.)  WAHFrickinHOOO!  (Sorry,
I'm sure you understand the frustration this relieves.)

-Jim