[lug] tar and dds2tar

Ferdinand P. Schmid fschmid at archenergy.com
Wed Jan 26 18:34:16 MST 2000

HI,
Has anyone here used dds2tar?  I would like to use it (and also kdat
from kde) for backups.  What I can't find in the readmes and howtos is
how to create the dat index using tar.

Kdat and dds2tar say to use regular tar without compression to create
the archive.  But that won't create a dat index file.  What is the magic
key to create that index file so I can do fast restores?  Also is
regular tar smart enough to ask for a new tape when I run out of space
on my existing tape?  Can I just do an "mt -f /dev/nst0 eod" to get to
the end of data to append an incremental archive to the same tape?

Any hints and hacks are appreciated!

Thanks,
Ferdinand

--