[lug] DSL in Denver?

arnie asherman1 at uswest.com
Wed Jan 26 19:47:37 MST 2000

Justin wrote:

> I'm sure this have been brought up, in fact I remember a bunch of posts a
> while back about DSL (at that time I had cable modem and didn't pay
> attention). I'm searching for a DSL setup that will work with my redhat 6.1
> linux box. It costs (from USwest) $100 for an Intel 2100 internal modem or
> $240 for an external Cisco 685 modem/router. My previous setup with the
> external cable modem was to run cat5 from the cable modem to eth0 in my linux
> box, then eth1 ran the internal network. I would like to have a similiar setup
> with the DSL but that entails buying a $240 modem. Any suggestions on what
> route to take? Anybody gone through this already? Thanks for any help...
>
>            Justin

Call US West, they are offering DSL at a discount for another month or so. My 675 cost $50 and
they waived the install fee and threw in the NIC for free. I'm very happy w/ the connection
too. I had them help me get the router configured w/ win95, then set up eth0 to talk to it in
linux. Very easy, even for me w/ virtually no networking experience.
--
arnie sherman
frenomulax at bigfoot.com

"All of nature talks to me.
 If I could just figure out what it's trying to say..."
   - Laurie Anderson