[Re: [lug] DSL in Denver?]

Alan Robertson alanr at bell-labs.com
Thu Jan 27 10:49:40 MST 2000

Justin wrote:

> Viggy <LittleViggy at alum.manhattan.edu> wrote:
> > Are you in an apartment?  Is this a fairly new housing complex?  There
> > are a couple of reasons why you cannot get DSL (or ADSL):
> >
> > 1)  You have to be within 15,000 feet of the CO (phone switch).  This is
> > 15,000 feet of wire, not 15,000 driving, or line of sight.
> > 2)  Some of the "older" new housing complexes was wired with fiber
> > optical cable to support all of the houses, and any "upgrades" (i.e. a
> > resident orders two more phone lines, etc.).  Fiber is not compatible
> > with ADSL.
> > 3)  If this is an apartment complex, and old enough, the phone lines
> > might be multiplexed.  In other words, USWest puts more than one phone
> > number on a physical pair that leads into the apartment building.  ADSL
> > is not compatible with this setup.
> >
> > Viggy
> >

> I can get DSL and I am familiar with all the technicalities that involve
> getting it installed (I work in the telecom industry). I was more curious as
> to what modems people are using with linux and what isp's are offering decent
> service.

I'm using the Cisco 675 (external).

Both US West and RMI have done a good job so far (only a few days).  RMI
seemed quite clueful regarding the service.  I got a single static IP address
in bridging mode for the $20/month ISP fee.  This means 256k totalls $50/month
($30 US West + $20 RMI).

	-- Alan Robertson
	   alanr at bell-labs.com