[lug] Newbie Needs Help on Installation

William Jarosko Jr. winrip at fpcc.net
Thu Jan 27 21:10:30 MST 2000

Wayde Allen wrote:

> On Thu, 27 Jan 2000, Calvin Dodge wrote:
>
> > Lilo really needs to have the boot partition on the primary hard drive (the
> > rest of Linux can reside on the slave drive).
>
> That isn't really true is it?  Perhaps this is an IDE restriction?
>
> The only restriction I know of is that the
> root (or boot) partition needs to reside below 1024 cylinders.

I maybe talking out of the wrong side of my body, but (no pun intended), my smp
machine defies that rule. When I added a 10gig drive to this older style board it
would only allow 8gigs to be used under windows/dos settings. So in order to use
the whole 10gig I had to tell it that it was using other for the OS. Now, if I
remember correctly since I don't want to reboot just to check the bios settings,
the Cylinders are about 19 or 20 thousand with heads set to something like 16.
which would lead me to believe that the kernel would have to be right at the
beginning of the drive. I dunno maybe I got lucky but I just thought I'd throw
that out there.

Bill.