[lug] Newbie Needs Help on Installation

Calvin Dodge caldodge at fpcc.net
Thu Jan 27 14:34:35 MST 2000

Wayde Allen wrote:

> On Thu, 27 Jan 2000, Calvin Dodge wrote:
>
> > Lilo really needs to have the boot partition on the primary hard drive (the
> > rest of Linux can reside on the slave drive).
>
> That isn't really true is it?  Perhaps this is an IDE restriction?

I honestly don't know.

What I do know is that (perhaps due to some nugget of knowledge I've yet to
learn - that LBA setting, perhaps?) most of the time I've had trouble when I
put the boot partition on a drive other than the primary one.  OTOH, I've never
had that problem if I put it on the primary drive (under the 1024 cylinder
limit, of course).

This works for me, but my belief in the matter certainly doesn't qualify as
canonical Linux fact.

Calvin

--
Calvin Dodge