[lug] Advice needed

William Jarosko Jr. winrip at fpcc.net
Thu Jan 27 18:53:24 MST 2000

 I have a question that I was hoping some of the BLUG members could help
me with.

How does/can one break into the UNIX side of the industry?

  I've been working on this for close to a year now with only a couple
of interviews as of late.  And I guess my question really relates to
what is appropriate to put on a resume.  Things like, I've been
upgrading and repairing computers since '92 but mostly outside of a work
environment until '97.  So is it acceptable to say I've had more than
two years in the industry?  It was a hobby that got me hooked enough to
go out and get a degree in Computer Networking.  And as far as
UNIX/LINUX is concerned, I've had a LINUX or some UNIX variant installed
and working at home since Sept,'98, with the full blown *NIX only rule
at home since Feb,'99 (not that I don't like MS or Novell I just have a
passion for UNIX) .  Though *NIX experience at work is limited, I happen
to be the only person out of 70 engineers that will touch it.   I guess
what is acceptable to say without crossing the line of lying.  That's
one thing I really don't feel comfortable with.  However, some of the
SA's I meet with, I would have to conclude that lying was the only way
they got the job, especially when "I" have to point out how to do
something to them.  I dunno seems like a damned if I do damned if I
don't situation.

Oh well, thanks in advance for any advice.
Bill.