[lug] CHAP

Michael J. Pedersen marvin at netinfra.net
Thu Jan 27 20:56:40 MST 2000

On Tue, Jan 25, 2000 at 08:08:37PM -0700, Aaron Hayden wrote:
> Yes, I'm one of those brand spanking newbies.  My ISP is bouldernews (part
> of infi.net) and recently they changed their local access phone numbers and
> instated MSCHAP (microsoft challenge/handshake authentication protocol).
> I've been having trouble dialing in because Linux needs to be configured
> specially to perform this protocol.  Even though I've sorted through all of
> the Linux HOWTO help files on CHAP and most of the PPP documentation. The
> main problem is that I don't know the <remotename> of the server that I
> would dial into. How can I find this out?  And does anybody use bouldernews
> sucessfully? and if so, how did you do it?

My personal experience with PAP/CHAP has been pretty simple, overall.  Simply
followed the PPP HowTo letter by letter, and it went over.  However, some
notes you'll want:

1) You don't need to know the remote machine name.  It may look that way, but
any old name will work just fine.

2) If you have a dialing utility (ie: kppp), that makes configuration MUCH
easier, usually.

--
Michael J. Pedersen
WhoDP: whodp://earth.activerse.com/pedersen