[lug] Linux Distr. Size (was: no fun with the sun)

Michael J. Pedersen marvin at netinfra.net
Thu Jan 27 21:13:19 MST 2000

On Wed, Jan 26, 2000 at 10:15:13AM -0700, Walter Pienciak wrote:
> Caveat:  It's been a few years since I fooled much with various
> distributions, and I'd be interested in hearing how these/other distros
> now fit this build/preassembled model.

Speaking from my personal experience on Debian:
You get the best of both worlds.  You can install a pretty lean system (down
in the 300-400mb area), or you can go gonzo, and install everything (at least
1g).  And you get to choose which method you prefer.

If you wish, you can select individual packages (with potato release, it looks
like 4000 packages or so).

Drawback: I hate dselect, and can't wait until they find a better tool to
replace it.

--
Michael J. Pedersen
WhoDP: whodp://earth.activerse.com/pedersen