[lug] Realtek-based NICs

Calvin Dodge caldodge at fpcc.net
Fri Jan 28 12:31:05 MST 2000

"McIllece, Matthew W" wrote:

> Do all Realtek-based NICs have this RTL8139 chipset?  If not, how do you
> find out if a particular Realtek-based NIC has an RTL8139 without actually
> having the card to look at?

I believe the answer is:  if it's a 10/100 NIC, then it has the RTL8139
chipset.  The 10 Mbit NICs use the RTL8029 chipset (NE 2000 compatible), and
I've had generally poor experiences with those.

My own low-end NIC preference is for the Netgear FA310TX, which is not quite as
good as it was when it used the Tulip chipset (it uses a clone chipset which
works with the tulip driver), but generally good enough.

Calvin

--
Calvin Dodge
Certified Linux Bigot