[lug] Linux Raid Question

Ed Meyer EMeyer at equuscs.com
Tue Feb 1 10:17:06 MST 2000

I found a how-to on separate PCI IDE controllers and it brought up a different question.

On your typical motherboard there are two IDE controllers.  Does the location on the channel determine the name of the device?  In other words, is this true:

ide0 Master=hda
ide0 Slave=hdb
ide1 Master=hdc
ide1 Slave=hdd

Because if that's true, that would answer my question about all the drives found in my /dev folder.  The IDE drives on the PCI controller would be hde, hdf, hdg, hdh.  But what I don't understand is why a device would show in my /dev when there isn't even one there.  My current system looks like this...

ide0 Master = Hard Drive = hda
ide0 Slave = empty = hdb?
ide1 Master = empty = hdc?
ide1 Slave = Cd Rom = hdd? or /dev/cdrom ?