[lug] Linux Distr. Size (was: no fun with the sun)

Nate Duehr nate at natetech.com
Tue Feb 1 20:56:59 MST 2000

On Thu, Jan 27, 2000 at 09:13:19PM -0700, Michael J. Pedersen wrote:
> Drawback: I hate dselect, and can't wait until they find a better tool to
> replace it.

Michael,

Check out the features they've added to apt (apt-get), I only use
dselect nowadays to find out the name of a package.  And usually I find
the package name using one of the search bots on the Debian IRC network
(openprojects.net).

apt-get install <packagename> -- gets the package and all dependencies
and installs them.

Heck of a lot nicer than rpmfind or anything else I've seen recently for
RPM's.  Lots of good Debian mirrors out there now too.

There's also a beta version of a new tool called console-apt (capt)
which looks promising for the future.

--
Nate Duehr <nate at natetech.com>