[lug] Newbie needs help W/ Samba config

Kevin Fenzi kevin at scrye.com
Fri Feb 4 13:23:37 MST 2000

>>>>> "deuce" == deuce  <deuce at uswestmail.net> writes:

deuce> Help, I am tying to learn linux and need some help with Samba,
deuce> I have a windoz network work now but want to replace one of the
deuce> boxes with my Linux RH6.1 box.  I have check several books and
deuce> many web site but i have not found any thing that has help.

humm...well, if you just want confuration help on samba, take a look
at the samba docs in /usr/doc/samba*/

Also it might help you to use swat. swat is the web based samba config
tool. Usually running on port 901 on your machine...
http://host:901/

deuce> i have my win box set with a static IP of 127.127.127.7 and a
deuce> group name of work

humm...did your provider give you that IP?
Thats on the network reserved for the loopback device. Bad idea to use
that on an ethernet.

Use one of the non-routable addresses that are reserved for private
networks:
10.x.x.x
or
192.168.x.x

deuce> I'm not worried about an web connection yet, but will be using
deuce> the Linux for proxy server soon.

take a look at squid...

deuce> I will be grateful for any help.

kevin