[lug] Problem configuring DNS

Rob rosterburg at uswest.net
Fri Feb 4 16:52:53 MST 2000

Hello,

I'm having trouble configuring DNS on a RedHat 6.1 box that I'm
hoping one day soon will be an ip-masquerading gateway for my
home network.

Although I can ping other hosts on my network using either their
hostname or IP address, but I can only ping remote hosts by their
IP address.

I have RADSL service from USWest with a dynamically assigned IP
address.  As for hardware, I using a Cisco 675 that is in routing (not
bridging) mode.

The contents of /etc/resolve.conf are:
domain uswest.net
nameserver 206.196.128.1
nameserver 206.147.80.1

The contents of /etc/sysconf/network are:
NETWORKING=yes
FORWARD_IPV4=yes
HOSTNAME=lenticular.mydomain
DOMAINNAME=mydomain
GATEWAY=10.0.0.1
GATEWAYDEV=eth0

and the contents of /etc/sysconf/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0 are:
DEVICE=eth0
BOOTPROTO=none
ONBOOT=yes
IPADDR=10.0.0.2
NETMASK=255.255.255.0
USERCTL=no

The questions I have are:
* Under what circumstances can the domain names used in
resolv.conf and network differ, or does this even matter.

* Would it be better to use "dhcp" as my boot protocol for eth0?

Thanks, Rob
Rob Osterburg
rosterburg at uswest.net