[lug] Newbie Column #6 - Viewing File Contents

Calvin Dodge caldodge at fpcc.net
Tue Feb 8 11:49:52 MST 2000

Wayde Allen wrote:

> of a file. If you want to move both forward and backward through a file,
> you may want to use something like "less" or "vi", but that is a

Amen to that.  I always use less - the abililty to go (as well as search)
backwards is a big advantage for "less". For viewing files I think it's
superior to "vi", since there's no chance of accidentally modifying the file in
question (especially if you're working from Windows' fershlugginer telnet
client).

Just invoke "less filename" to use.

Calvin

--