[lug] Re: newbie how-to's

Wayde Allen wallen at boulder.nist.gov
Thu Feb 10 14:35:10 MST 2000

On Thu, 10 Feb 2000, bill ehlert wrote:

> **  yes indeed  --  but basic system config and
>     basic system admin first, please  --  that way
>     we can make better sense of samba and apache,
>     i'm guessing.

The problem with most of these requests is that system configuration in
the Linux world is an almost limitless topic.  I've been configuring my
systems for over 6 years, and still am not done.  This also seems to be a
bit of a moving target.  If you've got a specific topic that you think
would be helpful let use know.

I'm hoping that the newbie articles I've been writing will
eventually cover the design philosophy behind Unix (why does it work this
way), the boot process (LILO, the init process, run levels, and the rc
scripts), etc..  It is just going to take some time, and a bit of help
from you people to make this happen.

- Wayde
  (wallen at boulder.nist.gov)