CLUE: Re: [lug] Re: Newbie how-to's

winrip winrip at fpcc.net
Thu Feb 10 23:20:54 MST 2000

Wayde Allen wrote:

> On Tue, 8 Feb 2000, David S. Weinstein wrote:
>
> > Maybe jointly we should start a new mailing list with any LUG's that want to
> > help out. NLUG or something, Newbie Linux Users Group.  Any of the old hands
> > that want to help give guidance to newbies could there, and people that
> > don't want to be bothered wont get the repetitive questions newbies like me
> > always ask?  Think LUG's could joint venture this?
>
> OK, but this list was created for the basic purpose you are describing.
> Not to mention that right now we have:
>
>     - The main BLUG discussion list (this list)
>     - The BLUG announce list
>     - Meta (LUG administrative list)
>     - The Colorado Linux Info Quest List
>     - CLUE talk
>     - PPLUG discussion
>     - NCLUG discussion
>     - GLUG discussion
>
> Quite frankly I have a hard time keeping up with all of these as it is,
> and that is just the lists I know about for the local LUG's.
>
> My concern with a list "just for newbies" would be that you've have a lot
> of people there with questions and no one to answer them.
>
> - Wayde
>   (wallen at boulder.nist.gov)

Well how about instead of having a newbie list, setup a central repository for
past newbie columns on a joint site, this way the new guys that have basic
questions can look there first. When I came to BLUG I had no idea about how to
use the list archive. So maybe a simple page that just lists links to each column
by title or by content, this way it saves you and other list ops from having to
re-run the columns, and saves the newbie from having to search for something in
the list archive not knowing exactly how to word something or what they are
looking for.

Oh well just my 2 pennies.

Bill

     * William M. Jarosko                   CompuCom      *
     * 303-790-7663 (H)           Advanced Field Engineer *
     * 303-210-8033 (c)(W)          bjarosko at compucom.com *
     *                                    winrip at fpcc.net *