[lug] Samba

Wayde Allen wallen at boulder.nist.gov
Fri Feb 11 12:32:19 MST 2000

On Thu, 10 Feb 2000, David Hahn wrote:

> Hello all.  am a linux newbie, so please excuse my tech level, am
> learning. My boss wants to move everything he can at this small company
> to Linux. 15 users, Novell 4.11 file server, NT4 with faxing and
> winproxy firewalling. Question- can files be moved to Samba from the
> Novell server and used as the file server, or does the file server need
> to be separate and translated through Samba. thanks much.

If you convert everything over to Linux I don't really know why you'd want
to run Samba at all?  Samba is the program you would run on a Linux system
to allow it to participate as part of the Microsoft network neighborhood.
If you eliminate the Microsoft products you really wouldn't need Samba
anymore.

In an all Linux house file sharing could be done via nfs.

- Wayde
  (wallen at boulder.nist.gov)