[lug] Newbie having problem with sendmail

Nate Duehr nate at natetech.com
Fri Feb 11 13:44:50 MST 2000

On Thu, Feb 10, 2000 at 05:11:39PM -0700, Wayde Allen wrote:

<some mail MTA comments snipped...>

> I do think that smail is generally easier to configure than sendmail, but
> it is also less flexible.  That can be a problem, and although I've run
> both smail and sendmail I've usually ended up switching back to sendmail.
> You should also consider that sendmail is the older of these programs, and
> is almost certainly the most common mail transport agent.  Sendmail has
> had its share of security problems, but part of this may simply be due to
> its ubiquitous nature.  If security and speed are of prime concern to you
> I'd suggest that you check out qmail <http://www.qmail.org/>.

Exim is another choice out there.  All have their quirks, all have their
strengths and weaknesses.  Debian Linux uses exim by default, so I
thought I'd mention it in the discussion.  Fairly secure (haven't seen
an exploit published for it yet...), not sure about speed -- none of my
machines push that much mail around, and configurable easily via a
config file... no M4 junk.

I think www.exim.org will get you to their "latest and greatest".
Otherwise various packages are available.  YMMV.

--
Nate Duehr <nate at natetech.com>