[lug] US West dial-up access

Michael J. Pedersen marvin at netinfra.net
Sun Feb 13 00:50:04 MST 2000

On Fri, Feb 04, 2000 at 03:41:39PM -0700, Ferdinand P. Schmid wrote:
> Is anyone here using US-West as their dial-up ISP?  In my case they are
> the cheapest ISP available and I would like to use them.  But when I
> called them they only had a dummy installation CD that only works on
> Windows clients.  They were unable to offer DNS, access phone number,
> and mail server info straight.

Sorry for how long it took to do this reply, but I've been buried at work.
Anyway, here's what I did when I was using them as an ISP:

Find a Windows box.  Use that to dial into their network for the first time.
It will create a text file with your account information. Print this file, and
you'll have all the info you need, I think.  If not, you can get the rest from
the windows machine while it is dialed in: Run winipcfg (Under Win95/98 only,
NT doesn't have this), and view all information.  You'll get more than you
need, I would think.

Hope this is of some use.

I'll leave my opinions of USW as ISP or as telco to myself, this time.  People
on the list know how I feel about them from past inquiries and responses :)

--
Michael J. Pedersen
WhoDP: whodp://earth.activerse.com/pedersen