[lug] Re: Fix/Install Fest.

Matt Taggart taggart at rascal.fc.hp.com
Mon Feb 14 16:38:32 MST 2000

"Robert L. Harris" writes...

 >Ok,
 >  This evening I'm going to go by COMPUSA and see if we can hole up
 >outside their store  for a few hours the evening of 2/17 since it's a
 >thursday.  We might not be able to give out media since they sell it,
 >but we can get some information out, as well as some things RedHat
 >and LinuxMall.com are sending me. (LinuxMall has a TUX costume we can
 >borrow.  Any volunteers?)
 >
 >  Has anyone secured a location for a Fix/Install Fest for 2/18?
 >It would be good to "advertise" that at the handout.

I have a better idea...

Microsoft is having a Dog and Pony show,

Microsoft Windows 2000 Launch Event
Temple Buell Theatre
950 13th Street
Denver , CO
February 17, 2000 1:00PM - 4:00PM

I propose another CD/Leaflet/toy handout like we did last time. tummy.com
has graciously donated 100 copies of the latest KRUD. It would be great if
LinuxMall has stuff for us to hand out but I think we should request only
current versions of distributions this time. Beggars can't be choosers but
I think it's in everyone's best interest to put our best foot forward,
especially since this will probably be the first time many of these people
have seen Linux.

Here are some of my thoughts,

- meet at 11am outside the Buell
- pro linux/free software signs/handouts/etc. only, no anti-MS stuff :(
- we need a general leaflet(nclug has one we can use)
- I will buy lunch for whoever volunteers to wear the Penguin costume :)
- Should we call the press this time? I suspect they may be there anyway.
- It would be nice if we had a few more people this time. Who's interested?

I will be driving down from Ft. Collins if anyone would like to carpool(and
maybe get some breakfast first).

Once again we waited until the last minute to start organizing :)

--
Matt Taggart
matt at taggart.cwx.net