[lug] Security

John Pyle jpyle at kryos.colorado.edu
Tue Feb 15 14:35:21 MST 2000

It's not Linux, but for a secure free-NIX, I highly recommend OpenBSD
(www.openbsd.org). It is "secure by default" and comes with no extraneous
services running. The default installation includes: 1.) packet-filtering
firewall capability (with features superior to ipchains), 2.) ssh, 3.) no
wacky extraneous services running, not even sendmail (though it is very
easy to get services like sendmail going). The default installation is
pretty compact, < 125 MB, with gcc but without X.

I initially installed OpenBSD on my DSL router/firewall. I was so
impressed with it, I now use it on my workstation as well. I do think
it is particularly well suited for server tasks: firewall, DNS server, web
server, etc.

Anyway...