[lug] Is BeOS POSIX like Linux?

Viggy LittleViggy at alum.manhattan.edu
Wed Feb 16 15:47:06 MST 2000

GeOS was written by Berkley Softworks, and actually stemmed from the
product written for the Commodore 64/128.  When the Mac was first
introduced, everyone loved it's GUI.  A couple of software engineers in
CA decided to try to "emulate" this environment on the Commodore.  GeOS
was born.  Then PC's started to become popular, so they ported it to the
PC.  However, it was basically like the early days of Windows, it wasn't
a "real" OS; it had to run on top of DOS.

BeOS on the other hand was started by one of the founders/programmers at
Apple.  I forget how the exact story goes, but this person saw a need to
create an OS that would facilitate graphic illustration, but run on a PC
(since PC's were/are cheaper).  Thus, BeOS was born...

Viggy