[lug] Is BeOS POSIX like Linux?

llornkcor at llornkcor.com llornkcor at llornkcor.com
Wed Feb 16 16:45:05 MST 2000

< GeOS was written by Berkley Softworks, and actually stemmed from the
> product written for the Commodore 64/128.  When the Mac was first
> introduced, everyone loved it's GUI.  A couple of software engineers in
> CA decided to try to "emulate" this environment on the Commodore.  GeOS
> was born.  Then PC's started to become popular, so they ported it to the
> PC.  However, it was basically like the early days of Windows, it wasn't
> a "real" OS; it had to run on top of DOS.
>
> BeOS on the other hand was started by one of the founders/programmers at
> Apple.  I forget how the exact story goes, but this person saw a need to
> create an OS that would facilitate graphic illustration, but run on a PC
> (since PC's were/are cheaper).  Thus, BeOS was born...

Actually BeOS was first designed for the PowerPC.
http://www.be.com/aboutbe/companybackground.html

It supposedly is not unix based, but they use a unix-like directory structure,
although the file system is different (64 bit, journaling). There are alot of gnu
programs that have been ported. :o)
--
llornkcor rocknroll
SpiritShip Recording Studio