[lug] Re: BLUG presence at the Computer and Technology Showcase

Ferdinand P. Schmid fschmid at archenergy.com
Wed Feb 16 17:47:24 MST 2000

Wayde:
I would be willing to prepare a presentation with information on how our
company is migrating to Linux.  It was a difficult battle for me to fight
with all the traditional arguments (security, difficult to administer, ...)
but we now have all critical systems migrated to Linux.

The main argument of course is cost of ownership...  We currently run
printing, file server, WWW, FTP, e-mail server on Linux and are planning to
implement a Linux based fax server for Windows clients.

Of course we are a small company (35 users, 50 computers, 100 GB of data,
only small databases) but we also do consulting to clients for lab and
process automation...

It you can provide me with information on talk duration and the form of the
talk (presentation only or seminar) then I would be willing to commit myself.

Ferdinand

Wayde Allen wrote:

> On Tue, 15 Feb 2000, Robert L. Harris  wrote:
>
> > A bit far out to plan for me right now, but i'd be willing to help man
> > a booth.
>
> Fair enough, we'll definitely need to plan a booth for both CLIQ and this
> event.  Right now I need are two people that would be willing to speak
> about Linux at the show.  If we want to get our foot in that door I'll
> need to get titles and abstracts for these presentations sent to Tony
> Patton very soon.  I think this is fairly important since it is a chance
> for us to speak to a corporate rather than a Linux specific crowd for a
> change.
>
> I suppose I could give a presentation about the growing use of Linux hear
> at NIST, but am not sure if the business community would find that too
> useful.  I'm thinking something that would show off how Linux could solve
> some problem in the business world would be good.  Perhaps this is too
> restrictive?  I guess the first question would be - if you were/are the
> CIO of a company what is it you would like to know about Linux?  Then
> perhaps we could tailor something from that.
>
> Some possible ideas that I can think of are:
>
>    - Linux professional certification
>
>    - Linux as a Server
>
>    - Compatibility of Linux in a mixed computing environment
>
>    - Security
>
>    - Network monitoring
>
>    - Description of a real world business implementation of Linux
>
>    - High Availability Linux
>
> etc..
>
>  - Wayde
>  (wallen at boulder.nist.gov)