[lug] Reverse domain registry question

Kirk Rafferty kirk at fpcc.net
Fri Feb 18 09:40:10 MST 2000

On Thu, Feb 17, 2000 at 04:00:31PM -0700, Chip Atkinson wrote:
> Greetings,
>
> I'm setting up a few domains and am trying to get reverse lookups working.
> I have the static IPs and both forward and reverse lookups work on the
> local box with the name server, but only forward lookups work in the
> outside world.  How do I get the inaddr.arpa domain information to the
> outside world?  Is this something that my ISP needs to do?  If so, how is
> it done?  I have US Wurst as an ISP so I need to understand it so I can
> explain it to them :-)

You are correct, this is something your ISP needs to do.  Some dialup
providers do not configure dialup IP addresses to reverse resolve,
although they will usually have it resolve to something like
5862-458.303.uswest.net (made up name).

I would tend to think that because you have static IPs, US West should
let those reverse resolve to *something.*  In any case, you'll have to
contact them and hope you get somebody cluefull enough to help.

--
_/ Kirk Rafferty            Fairplay Communications _/
_/ kirk at fpcc.net                http://www.fpcc.net _/