[lug] File Size > 2G

Kevin King kevin at precisonline.com
Tue Feb 22 12:01:33 MST 2000

Where can one find a patch (or is such a thing available) which allows Linux
to create and manage files exceeding 2G?  I'm using Caldera 2.2 and the file
just stops growing at 2G.

Also, if anyone wouldn't mind answering this: Why 2G?  I understand the math
with the max positive value of a signed int, but the question is "why
signed"?  Particularly given the various modes available w/ lseek, it would
seem that an unsigned quantity on a movable base might make more sense to
allow a file to grow beyond 2 or even 4G.

--Kevin
kevin at precisonline.com
http://www.precisonline.com
http://www.precisonline.com/gold.htm