[lug] 32meg linux running X?

Charles Morrison cmorrison at info2000.net
Wed Feb 23 10:01:31 MST 2000

On Wed, 23 Feb 2000, you wrote:
> Hola!
>
> The past few days the New York Times as well as the Denver Post had an
> article about several 'net appliance offerings.  Of the four featured two
> had CE and one had BeOS and the other a linux.  Prices quoted $ 200 to $
> 400.  These are pure 'net viewers with no hard drives, ect.
>
> The news copy stated that all of these 'net "appliances" worked with only
> 32 meg of ram.  Is this a trick?

I don't think so. I ran Linux on 32mb RAM for years, and quite well thank you.
I would think that there's a large amount of ROM , or am I missing how these
things are set up?

I wonder though, why qnx isn't among the net appliance OS's. That one floppy
demo was really nice.

> I don't remember any of my minimal linux installs being below 100 meg.  Do
> these 'net appliances get by  with something other than the X system?  In
> other words, a competent linux operator could not duplicate what these
> appliances are offering using just a standard slack distribution?
>
> eof

Chuck Morrison
VA Linux Systems - Western Area
Sr. Systems Engineer