[lug] LAN Server & Router

Jeff Howell howeljs at louisville.stortek.com
Wed Feb 23 11:25:06 MST 2000

Jef Vratny wrote:

> Since I've moved from boulder up into the boondocks of Avon, CO I've had to
> give up my DSL line and am hating life on a dial-up. So I want to set-up a
> isolated LAN for my Macs, with my RH 6.1 linux machine as the server AND the
> router. I have an ethernet hub and all the machines have NIC cards. I've
> set-up Netatalk before, and now just need to know how to Configure the linux
> machine to act as a router for the whole gig. I know it's got to be fairly
> easy, but I'm not sure how to go about it. Any help would be
> appreciated!!!!!
>
> jef vratny

You'll need to read up on ipchains. There are a few GUIs that will manage this
for you. ipchains can be pretty mystic at times, especially for a newbie.
My personal favorite is called gfcc. You can find it on freshmeat. If you're one
of those KDE types, kfirewall works well too.

--
 Jeff Howell
 EDS Unix Support

For more information: