[lug] Re: BLUG presence at the Computer and Technology Showcase

Wayde Allen wallen at boulder.nist.gov
Wed Feb 23 16:07:28 MST 2000

OK, several people mentioned that they "might" be able to give
presentations at the Denver Computer Technology Showcase.  The names I
have are:

   Robert L. Harris - "I may consider the Linux as a server actually, and
                       that could work on the desktop also."

   Ferdinand P. Schmid - "I would be willing to prepare a presentation
                          with information on how our company is migrating
                          to Linux. It was a difficult battle for me to
                          fight with all the traditional arguments
                          (security, difficult to administer, ...)  but
                          we now have all critical systems migrated to
                          Linux."

   Alan Robertson - "I think I know someone who would speak on this latter
                     topic, if he gets a laptop from SuSE, and gets his
                     proverbial sh*t together on his home (now work)
                     network ;-)"

   George Sexton - "This is a follow up to our attempted conversation at
                    the Dark Horse. I think a lot of people would be
                    interested in MRTG which is an SNMP graph program.  It
                    is primarily designed for monitoring network usage but
                    it can also be used to monitor other SNMP variables.
                    ... <snip> ... I use MRTG to monitor the bandwidth
                    usage on the eth0 and eth1 interfaces. Describing the
                    software and demonstrating the installation and
                    configuration would probably take something on the
                    order of an hour.  I would probably want to
                    demonstrate using it to monitor CPU utilization as
                    well. Anyhow, I think this is a nifty program that a
                    lot of people would be interested in."

We need to get the titles and abstracts for these talks to Tony Patton by
the end of this week.  Please let me know if you are planning on doing
this ASAP.

- Wayde
  (wallen at boulder.nist.gov)