[lug] RedHat 6.1 installation

Chip Atkinson chip at pupman.com
Thu Feb 24 12:46:58 MST 2000

Greetings,

I would scrutinize your hardware.  That may be why your disk got corrupted
in the first place.  My earliest experiences with installation
difficulties similar to what you describe were ultimately determined to be
hardware -- bad cache.  Things would install most of the way and die.
Eventually I got it installed and after a while things like ls would start
core dumping.  A reboot would fix it but only for a while.

I found the problem by finding something that consistently crashed (kernel
rebuild) and swapping parts in and out until the problem went away.

Chip