[lug] CTAR

Ferdinand Schmid fschmid at archenergy.com
Thu Feb 24 20:45:56 MST 2000

We are using CTAR's big brother (Backup Professional) here to back up
our server.  So far (over the past month or so) it has proven to be very
reliable and fast.  It also has some nice features like fast file
restore and a smart database that keeps track of all the files that you
have on tape.  Whenever you overwrite a tape it gets retired in the
database.  At any given time the db can tell you which tape(s) you need
to restore any file you currently have available.

Our system writes 32 GB onto a DDS4 tapes in 2 hours.  Of all backup
systems I have seen to date, including Veritas Backup Exec and several
freeware packages Backup Professional is by far the best.  Tech support
has been outstanding.  So if CTAR is all you need I can only recommend
it because of the outstanding service that we have received from
http://www.unitrends.com/.  Plus you can read all of the tapes you
created with CTAR or BP using regular tar, assuring that you will be
able to retrieve data anytime and on any system.

Ferdinand

"Stephen G. Smith" wrote:

> Has anyone used CTAR?
> Do you have any other suggestions for commercial backup software..
> I am looking for a complete backup package with more than just
> an FAQ for support.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Stephen

Ferdinand Schmid