[lug] Really off topic

Whit Morrison wmorriso at csd.net
Thu Feb 24 17:58:35 MST 2000

I know this doesn't relate to Linux, but I don't think I could find a
more knowledgeable group to put this question to.  I am running an AMD
K6-2 400 with 64 meg at home, at work Im using a pentium II 266 64 meg
running win NT 4.  I started processing data from seti at home at work, and
it took ~ 15 hours per work unit.  I thought it would be neat to see
what it would do on my home machine (on both Linux and NT). I was
disappointed to say the least... the AMD running NT took 25 hours, and
running Linux it took ~ 14 hours.  As I understand they are doing a
fourier analysis on the data.  Now with all that out of the way... does
anyone know why the AMD might perform so poorly?
It seems to everything else pretty well.

Hope I didn't upset to many with this question.

Whit