[lug] Really off topic

Ferdinand P. Schmid fschmid at archenergy.com
Fri Feb 25 10:35:29 MST 2000

Wasn't there a time when AMD processors were slow with floating point
operations.  I seem to remember that maybe with the K6-3, but definitely with
the Athelon they resolved this issue.  Intel CPU's have always been very
focused on floating point operations, which helps with FFT but doesn't really
matter for everyday work in regular desktop apps.

Ferdinand

Viggy wrote:

> My initial gut reaction is that perhaps the software is compiled to take
> advantage of the Intel processor itself.  I think all P2's are MMX.
> Perhaps the s/w is using the MMX extensions, and on the AMD it is not (I
> don't think that the AMD has the MMX extensions, just their own 3D Now
> extensions).
>
> Viggy

Ferdinand Schmid
(Staff Engineer)