[lug] Really off topic

Viggy LittleViggy at alum.manhattan.edu
Fri Feb 25 10:42:38 MST 2000

That's right.  I couldn't remember who did what better.  Intel has
always kicked butt with respect to FP computations; while AMD kicked
butt at integer computations.  This is why games seem to run faster on
AMD.  Games are usually very integer intensive (since FP numbers are
subject to "binary representation and roundoff").

Fourier transforms are very FP intensive.  As far as everyday work, I
don't think that the numeric portion of the processor matters all that
much.  Cache, and memory addressing do.

Viggy