[lug] Really off topic

Sebastian Sobolewski ( Zeb ) spsobole at mindless.com
Fri Feb 25 12:44:50 MST 2000

         Hi, I've been writing an Acoustics Analysis program at work and
here are a few things that I've found:

         My own tests with standard optimized FFT routines vs. ones using
MMX to speed up processing showed me that the MMX routines are 2-3 times
faster.

         More then likely SETI at Home was compiled and is using the Intel®
Signal Processing Library.  This library has highly optimized functions for
every Intel CPU.  On PII, PII and Celeron CPU'S it uses MMX based functions
for Fourier and most other floating point intensive calculations.
(Wavelets, filters ..etc)

         The MMX instruction set is also much faster at this then the
standard Floating Point unit in AMD K-series chips (Which is actually
slower then a PII @ same clock rate); with the exception of the Athelon
CPU. The Athelon has a lightning fast FPU and additional SIMD/MMX
instructions.

         So more then likely it's because your K6-2 CPU is simply slower at
Floating Point OPS.

Sebastian