[[lug] cable modem in the Tech Center]

Justin glowecon at netscape.net
Sun Mar 5 23:56:46 MST 2000

"Michael J. Hammel" <mjhammel at graphics-muse.org> wrote:
> It looks like I'm going to be getting a cable modem.  I don't know anything
> about these other than they work on a shared local network design, ie there
> are a group of people in my area that technically have access to my box all
> the time.  So, I need to know a few things.
>
> 1. Who provides such access?
at&t at home provides the cable modem service out here
> 2. What are the costs?
I paid $45 a month for my cable modem, no install or setup fees
> 3. What equipment do I need?  I have thinnet at home (yes, 10 year old 8
>    bit 3Com and WD cards running on thinnet coaxial cable).  Any problems
>    with hooking that with the cable hookup?
@home will/should provide you with a NIC and the cable modem at no charge, you
will need another NIC to manage your external network (ie: connect to the
cable modem via cat5)
> 4. What security precautions should I take?  Should I get a firewall box?
Obviously take normal security precautions, edit your /etc/services,
/etc/inetd.conf, and other typical /etc files, you can use that same box as
your firewall as well using ipchains
> 5. How difficult will it be to move the service when I move from my
>    apartment into a house later this year?
As long as @home service is available to your new place of living all it takes
is changing the info for the network interface if it even gets changed
> 6. Are there kernel requirements?  I currently run RH5.2 on my main box,
>    but I'm getting another box that I can load anything on.  I'll probably
run
>    KRUD, but I still want to know what OS requirements might exist for
using
>    cable modems.
Basically your only requirement is a NIC and the proper configuration, if your
using RH5.2 you'll need to learn ipfwadm as opposed to ipchains for
firewalling (I believe 5.2 had ipfwadm?) Other than that the setup is pretty
simple, just make sure to get all the necessary ip and host info from either
the tech who installs the cable modem or from the windows box that the tech
installs it on. When I did mine I let the tech install the modem on my win98
box and then I got all the info I needed to set it up on my redhat 6.0 box
using the 'winipcfg' command. Good luck...

justin

> Thats it for a start.  I don't currently have TV cable installed (what a
<snipped>