[lug] Security Issues: Linux vs. FreeBSD

Scott Saad scott.saad at anark.com
Mon Mar 6 17:25:15 MST 2000

Hi everybody.  Recently, our mail server, which happens to be running Red
Hat Linux 6.0, was attacked by some script kiddy.  My co-employee is a BIG
fan of FreeBSD.  He assures that if we were running FreeBSD instead of Linux
this hack could of been avoided (he's also bias because he feels a bit more
administratively confident with FreeBSD).  I'm trying to convince him
otherwise by letting him know that the problem is not Linux itself... it's
just that our policy needs to be tightened up.

I wanted to get the lists' opinion on security between FreeBSD and Linux.
Is FreeBSD generally more secure?  I'm relatively new to this list so if
somebody could point me to some documentation regarding this issue, I would
greatly appreciate it.  I don't want to have to say good-bye to the Linux
box... that's just no fun at all.

Thanks in advance for your help...

Scott Saad
Software Engineer