[lug] no cable access, what about DSL?

Chip Atkinson chip at pupman.com
Wed Mar 8 08:51:34 MST 2000

I've used USWest and haven't been too dissatisfied.  I have the 675 and to
configure it I either telnet into it or use a serial port and minicom.  I
have "dynamic IP" at home and static IP at my mom's house.  The dynamic is
kind of strange.  Basically what I do is turn off the DHCP but leave NAT
active (Network Address Translation, same as masquerading) on the
"dynamic" setup.  For the static IP, I turned off NAT as well.  The modem
sort of takes care of itself on the WAN side and I've only had to worry
about the LAN side.

My biggest problem was getting the modem to connect.  I had to configure
it properly (duh) but even so, it would connect, attempt the
username/passowrd connection to USW, drop the connection and repeat.
Eventually I got a second line tech support person and he walked me
through the procedure of resetting the modem's memory.  This particular
procedure is undocumented but I can post it this evening if people are
interested.  Once I got this going all has been wonderful.  Download
speeds are phenomenal.  Better than here at work and they claim a T1
connection here.

When I called their tech support I was able to get through pretty quickly
because it was 3 AM. :-)  I went through the Macintosh support people
because I figured they would be more available.

Hope that helps.

Chip