[lug] no cable access, what about DSL?

RADKE JOSHUA PAUL radke at ucsu.Colorado.EDU
Wed Mar 8 09:32:33 MST 2000

Greets,

I've only been watching this list for a couple of weeks, and _finally_ I
think I may have something to contribute to the list *sigh*.

I got DSL a little over a year ago from USWest (it may have been longer
ago, I don't remember) , and received a Cisco 675 with it.  As a result,
any insight refers only to that setup.  (BTW, I can agree with all of the
frustrations with USWest, the only helpful guys I could find when I was
setting it up were in Arizona).  At any rate, the Cisco has 2 'modes',
bridging and PPP. As far as I can tell, the only thing your computer sees
on the other side of it is 'normal' ethernet communications (i.e., what
your NIC wants to see) . I required no additional drivers, but did need to
set the Cisco up from my computer, which is a simple com port connection,
so I don't see any problems using it with a LINUX box.

What mode you use will be dependent on your ISP - i.e., I use WebAccess
and have the modem in bridging mode, but when I first got my service, it
was only working with USWest (go figger) and used PPP.

Finally, when I installed RedHat 6.1 (first linux install, so go easy on
me *grin*), I had some problems with the DHCP client (pump) which was
easily fixed by using dhcpd instead.  The long and short is that the DHCP
client is the _only_ thing that needed attention.

I hope this was at least a little helpful,

Josh