[lug] Calculating network addresses

Ian Hall-Beyer manuka at nerdherd.net
Wed Mar 8 11:32:02 MST 2000

On Wed, 8 Mar 2000, winrip wrote:

> Yet I still believe the fastest way is to AND it by hand. You could get the
> answer in half the time it takes to write a perl script or program. But maybe I
> like doing things the hard way.

The quick and dirty way to do it in bash, I've found is to grep the output
of route -nfor the interface name, then grep again for the netmask. The
first field is your network address.

-Ian

--
<cosmo> wow, this is kinda nifty. the win98 protocol stack is
like a chinese finger puzzle, twist and turn in the right places,