[lug] Calculating network addresses

winrip winrip at speakeasy.org
Wed Mar 8 18:44:23 MST 2000

   But that only gives you a network address that exists. Say for example you
were trying to plan for a new netowrk or subnet, you will still have to do the
calculations anyway, atleast to get machines to talk. So lets say you have IP
address N.N.N.N and want to use a non standard subnet mask ( just an example),
which would mean you're subnetted anyway,  you can take the time to plug it into
linux and grep route, or write a perl script to calculate it, or by the time
both of those are done simply AND it.  Writing a perl script in the long run
would probably be the fastest way since it would be reusable, greping route is
a good trick to know, but a one time use it would be easier to AND it by hand,
besides you have to understand the basics first before you know if you have the
correct answer anyway.