[lug] Firewalls Books

Michael Deck deckm at cleansoft.com
Mon Mar 13 14:32:52 MST 2000

I was extremely bummed to have missed last meeting, but I was out of town.
I wonder if the list gurus could advise which of two recent books on Linux
Firewalls might be better for me. I'm not entirely a newbie, having set up
an ipfw masquerading firewall on my system that I think works OK (but is
probably full of holes). I'm running both Linux and Win9x behind the
firewall without significant problems, DNS OK etc. But I'd like to start
building a secure server and that probably means more attention to the last
20% of security. Two books appear as recent titles,

Linux Firewalls  by Robert Ziegler (New Rider, 11/99), and
Building Linux and Openbsd Firewalls; by Wes Sonnenreich and Tom Yates
(Wiley, 2/00)

Any suggestions on which of these might be better for me? If it makes any
difference, I'm running RH5.2 on the firewall right now but plan to upgrade
to KRUD6.0 (which runs my file server already) Real Soon Now.

-Mike

Michael Deck
Cleanroom Software Engineering, Inc.